Friday, July 13, 2007

Merry Christmas in July























Woot. Christmas in July is in full swing. Progress: I finished my dad's birthday socks (his birthday is in November), my grandpa's birthday socks (July), and my brother's birthday beanie (September). I have one sock done for my uncle's birthday (also September) and the second one is in progress (luckily it's going faster than the first one). Also, I've started my mom's Christmas socks.
Specs:
Grampy's birthday socks
Pattern: Classic Socks by the Yankee Knitter
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Charcoal and Green, one ball each
Source: Michael's
Needles: Aluminum dpns, US size 5
Modifications: --
Dad's Birthday Socks
Pattern: my own combination of the Yankee Knitter Classic Socks and Cat Bordhi's basic socks from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles
Yarn: Step, color Hunter, one ball
Source: Patternworks Yarn Shop
Needles: Two Addi Turbo 24" circular, US size 1
Modifications: Combining two patterns, using circular needles instead of dpns
Bro's Birthday Beanie
Pattern: Striped Stocking Cap from Hip to Knit
Yarn: Sirdar Legend DK, one ball each of black, grey, and chartreuse
Needles: Susan Bates 16" circular, US size 6, and one set of aluminum dpns, US size 6


I'm using Regia 4-ply Tweed for my uncle's socks, and the pattern is the Retro Rib socks from Favorite Socks. I love the way they are coming out. My mom's socks are made out of the Step yarn as well (it's wonderful--great colors, and it has jojoba oil and aloe in it to make your hands soft as you knit and to make the wearer's feet soft), and the pattern for those is from Favorite Socks as well, the Cable Rib pattern. I made myself one Cable Rib sock last year while I was in Ireland, most of it knit on buses while traveling around (I don't usually suffer from Second Sock Syndrome, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to the other one this time).
Hopefully my large KnitPicks order, entirely of yarn for Christmas/birthday presents, makes its way here before I finish these two pairs--these are the last two presents I have yarn for.
The last picture is a work-in-progress shot of the Elisa Nest Tote from the Purl Bee. I'm using Butterfly Super 10 cotton and size 9 needles, and it is flying along. It's perfect summer knitting: cotton, an easy but elegant stitch pattern, and going quick. I'm hoping to finish it tonight so I can bring it to the TKGA and TCGA conference tomorrow (well, not the conference itself, but the market....should be dangerous!) which is being held in Manchester this weekend. Susan is coming down and we are going to see all there is to see (and probably buy a lot of it...) But first, finishing the tote, and then bringing one of the socks to the Bridge Cafe's Open Mic tonight.

No comments: