Sunday, January 27, 2008

Landscape Shawl and Heidi Headbands

I finally finished the Landscape Shawl (I started it in June, then put it down until a few weeks ago. I actually misplaced it at one point which could account for the lack of progress). It was a good January project because it kept my lap warm and I have this weird urge to knit things that are white during this month (although I simultaneously want to knit things in very bright colors during these dark days). I'm happy I finished it in time to be able to wear it for the rest of winter.


Landscape Shawl (A FiberTrends pattern)
Yarn: The Irish Ewe Aran, 2 hanks Bainin (pronounced BAAA-neen, according to the website)
Source: The Irish Ewe, via the National Knit and Crochet Show in Manchester in June 2007
Needles: Crystal Palace Bamboo US Size 11 26" circular needles
Modifications: Just a bunch of mistakes that aren't really noticable, and I tried the Better Bind Off (click for the tutorial from the Purl Bee) for the top edge. Tip: I am so used to tugging on the yarn to bind off loosely that my edge is a little wobbly where I started the bind-off. Don't hesitate to pull it tight.

A close-up of the stitch patterns:
I can't rave about this yarn enough. It's beautiful in that homespun way and organic and it's from Ireland. The women at the Irish Ewe are so nice and helpful, and I'm thrilled that the yarn is available online because I want to buy a bunch and roll in it. Plus, you can't beat the price: $12-14 for 325-400 yards of delicious Irish woolly goodness.



And last but not least, I finally got back to the sewing machine last week and busted out some of Heidi's Headbands from Bend the Rules Sewing. I've gotten lots of compliments on them and they were very quick and easy. That Amy has some great ideas, and I love that there are drawings that detail the steps along with the written instructions. I think this was my first project from the book but I will definitely be making more: I am in love with every bag in the book.


1 comment:

yarnophiliac said...

I spend quite a bit of time in Maine not far from the Irish Ewe during the summers and keep meaning to take a little pilgrimage -- this year for certain, and I'll have to check out the wool. As for the headbands, I'd love to see them modeled!