Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kneesocks and Mesocks

In a burst of getting things done today I realized that I had some extra time (that never happens!) and that I'm much closer to getting all my school stuff done than I'd previously thought (also never happens), and the sun was actually out so I could take some decent pictures (more and more rare these days, or at least it seems that way at the times I leave and come home).


First up, the Mesocks:




Better known as the Sandalwood Socks from the Winter 2008 issue of Interweave Knits, and humbly designed by yours truly.





I'm a little sad that these pictures don't fully express the beautiful hand-painted yarn from Spirit Trail Fiberworks, but I think the one above comes closest. The colors in the yarn inspired the pattern (which is called November Lace in my head). These are socks for cozying up by the fire, a romantic lacy sock that is ladylike but warm.


The subtle dye job doesn't overwhelm the lace patterns, which is something I suggest looking for if you would like to use a variegated yarn for this pattern. It might look a little crazy in some of the photos, but it is much calmer in person. This yarn is the color of bare tree branches, cranberry sauce, tawny grass, pumpkin pie, pink cheeks from the cold. It is so beautiful, I could rhapsodize about it forever, but instead I'll send you over to their site. I have to warn you that the colors are probably much more beautiful in person.





Sandalwood Socks from Interweave Knits Winter 2008, designed by Caitlin Stevens (me!)
Yarn: Spirit Trail Fiberworks Fingering Weight Superwash Merino, hand painted, 1 skein
Source: Spirit Trail Fiberworks booth at the 2007 New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival
Needles: Accessories Unlimited US Size 2 Bamboo dpns (the pattern calls for 1s, but this yarn was a little thicker than the Louet Gems that I used for the sample pair)
Modifications: Worked extra repeats on the foot to accomodate my large feet.



If you are knitting this pattern and have any problems, please don't hesitate to comment or pm me on Ravelry (my name is CaitlinGracie).





And Kneesocks!



(Sorry the pictures are a little dark. They looked much better on my camera. I'm not sure what the computer did to them...)


Closeup of the clever merging of two cables to create one larger cable when the calf decreases are finished:








Clessidra from Knitty Spring 2007, by Gabriella Chiarenza
Yarn: Knit Picks Essential, 3 skeins #23698 Burgundy (I ordered 4 balls and recommend you go by the yardage required in the pattern, just in case)
Source: Knit Picks
Needles: 2 Addi Turbo US Size 1 24" circular needles
Modifications: Knit on two circular needles instead of dpns; lengthened the foot a bit. (Actually knit them completely last year, then frogged and reknit them this year because I had added stitches to make them larger and they fell down, and now I am very happy with them)




I have some sad knitting news to share with you. I lost my new beret. The same day I read about Alison's sad loss, my beret fell out of my pocket when I was racing to catch the T. I didn't even have to run! I had plenty of time to catch my bus! I never leave things in my pockets without holding on to them! (For those of you wondering, this particular evil train, the E train on the green line at the Museum of Fine Arts stop, only comes around every 10-12 minutes and is an above-ground stop. This does not sound like a long time until you have to catch a bus or it is twenty below). Another reason I hate graduate school: it steals my hats. I just hope a homeless person picked it up and is a little warmer now.



I had an excellent Thanksgiving, and I hope you all did too. Some things I'm thankful for:
  • Family and friends to celebrate with
  • A room full of yarn and crafts and books
  • Pie and other desserts
  • Having my pattern published
  • Only one more week of graduate school!
  • The holiday season





7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay socks!

Are you presenting tomorrow? I am, and I am not ready. Whee!

Susan said...

Caitlin, your socks are even more beautiful than the ones in Interweave Knits. I've been bragging about your sock pattern being published and everyone is so impressed!

Caitlin said...

Aw, thanks! The yarn is so beautifully dyed it's impossible for them to be ugly!

Ariel said...

Your knee socks are even more beautiful in person! And I've totally been bragging that I know the person that designed those awesome Interweave socks. :)

Tonya said...

Caitlin, I saw your socks in the Interweave Knits magazine and am excited to make them. They look beautiful and I like the details. The thing that concerns me is that my foot is a size 9-9 1/2 and my foot circumference is 9". I know I can add rows for the length but will they be wide enough for my larger foot? I'm not really experienced enough with socks to know how to make them wider. Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi there.

I have to say, I saw your socks in the Knits Winter 2008 catalogue and, even though I am a beginning knitter, decided to make them for my girlfriend.... So... I hour later, sitting at the first page... I am a bit stuck ;-) Wondered if you could clarify one thing for me? I, and of course SHE, will definitely appreciate it!

Just a little help.

Keep up the good work!

Crafty Bookworm said...

Sorry, Tonya and Dimitrios, I didn't see your comments earlier! Tonya, for the foot you can just stop the decreases at the gusset a few stitches before it is recommended (your gauge should be able to help you figure out how many stitches to keep, plus I suggest trying them on while they are in progress). This will add width to the foot, just knit the extra stitches as you would the stitches for the bottom of the foot (knit every stitch, every round).

Dimitrios, (and Tonya, if you have further questions), feel free to e-mail me at caitlinDOTstevensATsimmonsDOTedu with your questions. If you are on Ravelry (www.ravelry.com), my name is CaitlinGracie. Feel free to message me, and there might be help in the forums or on the page for the pattern (search "Sandalwood Socks" in the Patterns tab). Hope this helps!